Showing posts with label California. Show all posts
Showing posts with label California. Show all posts

Saturday, 10 March 2018

Gunman Kills Himself, Hostages (3 Women) After A Long Standoff With Police

CRIME NEWS
Gunman Kills Himself, Hostages (3 Women) After A Long Standoff With Police

A gunman and three women thought to be his hostages were found dead Friday at a California veterans home after an hours-long standoff with police.
The assailant struck at 10:20 am (1820 GMT) at the Veterans Home of California-Yountville in the Napa Valley, the largest veterans’ home in the United States with around 1,000 former servicemen and women.
“Shortly before 6:00 pm this evening law enforcement personnel made entry into the room where we felt the hostages were being held by the suspect and unfortunately made the discovery of three deceased females and one deceased male suspect,” Captain Chris Childs of the California Highway Patrol told a news conference.
“This is a tragic piece of news, one we were really hoping we wouldn’t have to come before the public to give.”
The Napa County Sheriff’s Office had earlier issued an advisory on social media telling people to avoid the area following reports of gunfire, as the California Highway Patrol dispatched officers, air support and a SWAT team to the site.
Childs said a sheriff’s deputy who was first on the scene exchanged fire with the suspect, adding that “we credit him with saving the lives of others in the area by eliminating the ability for the suspect to go out and find further victims.”
The three victims were described by local media as employees of The Pathway Home, an on-site counseling service for veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
It is was not immediately clear whether they had been targeted or were chosen at random.
The San Francisco Chronicle said the gunman — apparently a 36-year-old war veteran wearing “a stash of bullets” around his neck and waist — had been on the PTSD treatment program, adding that his weapon was a rifle.
– Gunman was calm –
It quoted state senator Bill Dodd identifying the program’s executive director, Christine Loeber, as being one of the dead, although the victims’ names have not been officially released.
Police did not say how they died, although local media, citing unnamed sources, reported that the assailant shot the three women before turning the gun on himself.
Dodd, whose district includes the center, said the gunman had been asked to leave several days earlier, according to the Chronicle.
“It’s a residential program so guys live in the building, staff work in the building,” Larry Kamer, whose wife Devereaux Smith was working at the center, told the local ABC7 News channel.
Smith, a development director for The Pathway Home, was one of four women released by the gunman, said Kamer.
“There was a going away party for a couple of the staff who were leaving today. They were having cake and toasting and all that and then he apparently just walked in with this rifle.”
Kamer said the gunman was calm and talked to everyone present.
The discovery came after several fruitless hours of trying to contact the man by the sheriff’s department, City of Napa Police and the FBI.
California Department of Veterans Affairs secretary Vito Imbasciani said in a statement the agency was “devastated” by the deaths.
“Our hearts are heavy for the entire Yountville Veterans Home community and the families and friends who are grieving for those who died,” he added.
“Nothing matters more than caring for our veterans and employees during this difficult time. We appreciate the tremendous law enforcement response today and unfailing support of this community.”
AFP
Please Share This Post

Monday, 26 February 2018

A Troubled Ex-Miami Dolphins Star Arrested With A Gun After Posting A Threatening Shooting Message On His Instagram

BREAKING NEWS



A Troubled Ex-Miami Dolphins Star Arrested With A Gun After Posting A Threatening Shooting Message On His Instagram

A former Miami Dolphins player who was placed in a mental health facility after posting a sinister photo on social media had a gun in his vehicle when he was detained by police.

Jonathan Martin, 28, posted a picture on his private Instagram feed on Thursday of a shotgun and cartridges on a bed, with the caption: 'When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.'

In the chilling post, he hashtagged his former school, Harvard-Westlake in California and the Miami Dolphins, as well as tagging some of his former teammates. 

Scroll down for video 
Ex-Miami Dolphins player Jonathan Martin was behind an Instagram post threatening a shooting that led to the Harvard-Westlake School being closed
Ex-Miami Dolphins player Jonathan Martin was behind an Instagram post threatening a shooting that led to the Harvard-Westlake School being closed

Martin, 28, posted this picture on his private Instagram feed late on Thursday night of a shotgun and cartridges on a bed, with the caption: 'When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge'
Martin, 28, posted this picture on his private Instagram feed late on Thursday night of a shotgun and cartridges on a bed, with the caption: 'When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge'

Police believe that Martin recently purchased two weapons, one of which matched the social media image he posted on before the weekend. 

The gun was discovered after Martin was detained in a traffic stop in Los Angeles, according to TMZ.   

The posting also led to Harvard-Westlake School, an elite private school costing $38,000 a year and popular with celebrities, to close both its campuses after one of its students highlighted the message as a possible 'security threat' on social media, police said.

Los Angeles Police Department Officer Tony Kuey said the man in custody made no direct threat against the school and the investigation is ongoing.

Martin has since been moved to a mental health facility after the threatening post, according to ESPN.   

A spokesperson for LAPD told DailyMail.com: 'There was a post on social media and for precautionary measures they added extra patrols to the school.' 

Current Dolphins player Mike Pouncey (pictured) was named in the postMartin's chilling Instagram post tags the names of former Dolphins players Richie Incognito (pictured)

Martin's chilling Instagram post tags the names of former Dolphins players Richie Incognito (left)  and current Dolphins player Mike Pouncey (right) above the shotgun. Incognito, who now plays for the Buffalo Bills, was investigated by the NFL Players Association over allegations he was the ringleader of the tormenting 

Harvard-Westlake School, which is popular with celebrities, was forced to close its Studio City campus after one of its students highlighted the post as a possible 'security threat'
Harvard-Westlake School, which is popular with celebrities, was forced to close its Studio City campus after one of its students highlighted the post as a possible 'security threat'

The spokesperson was unable to confirm Martin's involvement and said they had no information about there suspect or a possible arrest.

But sources said the social media post came from the private Instagram account of former NFL player Martin, who is known to suffer from a depressive disorder.

A source who had access to the picture said: 'This seems like a joke gone horribly horrible wrong.'

Stanford University graduate Martin was played for the Miami Dolphins but left in 2013 amid allegations he was a victim of racist bullying.

Martin's teammate, Richie Incognito, was investigated by the NFL Players Association over allegations he was the ringleader of a group of Dolphins players who bullied Martin for months.

LA school closes after ex-NFL player makes disturbing post

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
1:59
Play
Unmute
Current Time 1:59
/
Duration Time 1:59
Fullscreen
Need Text
Up next

Disturbing moment ex-NFL player dives headfirst thr…

f
Cancel


Incognito left voicemails on Martin's phone calling him a 'half-n****r piece of s**t', threatening to slap his mother and even making death threats against Martin.

The current Buffalo Bills player also joked about 'running a train' on Martin's sister, and made other crude remarks about her. 

Martin, who played offensive tackle for the Dolphins, reportedly checked into a hospital for emotional distress over the incident, and returned to his parents home in California.

He ultimately quit the team and debated giving up on his career, feeling such psychological duress that he said he twice considered committing suicide. 

In November that year, Incognito was suspended for 'conduct detrimental to the team.'
   
Martin's chilling Instagram post tags the names of Incognito and another Dolphins player Mike Pouncey above the shotgun.

Also tagged in the Instagram post was sports agent James Dunleavy, VP Basketball at Independent Sports & Entertainment and TJ Taylor, a top executive at an exclusive dating app - both appear to be former students at Harvard-Westlake.

It's not clear whether Martin also suffered from bullying at Harvard-Westlake.  

The scene at the Harvard-Westlake School on Friday during the closure
The scene at the Harvard-Westlake School on Friday during the closure

Source DailyMail
Please Share This Post


You May Like To Read This