Showing posts with label Fraud. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Fraud. Show all posts

Friday, 7 June 2019

N69bn alleged fraud: Chief Judge transfers Fayose’s trial to another judge


NEWS
N69bn alleged fraud: Chief Judge transfers Fayose’s trial to another judge
 www.naijavoiceofthemasses.blogspot.com
The Chief Judge (CJ) of the Federal High Court on Friday transferred the trial of the former Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, charged with alleged N6.9 billion fraud, to a new judge.

The CJ, Justice Adamu Abdu-Kafarati, transferred the case from the former judge, Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, to Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke.

The action, followed a petition by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking a transfer of the case.

Fayose was arraigned on Oct. 22, 2018, by the EFCC, alongside a company, Spotless Investment Ltd, on 11 counts bordering on fraud and money laundering offence.

He had pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted bail on Oct. 24, 2018, in the sum of N50 million with sureties in like sum, while the prosecution opened trial on Nov. 19, and had so far called 13 witnesses out of 15 listed.

On March 20, a drama ensued in court midway into the trial, between the trial judge, and EFCC counsel, Mr Rotimi Jacobs, SAN.



The judge raised concerns on the manner of prosecution by counsel, and had noted that the prosecutor was not doing a good job, adding that he was not competent to evaluate the court’s ruling.

On his part, the prosecutor expressed his displeasure on the grounds that he had always dispensed his duties diligently and had never been derogated by any court.

Meanwhile, at the last proceedings on May 10, the 13th prosecution witness, Mr Adewale Aladegbola, a former driver of a bullion van, had given evidences which the prosecutor described as being contrary to his extrajudicial statement to the commission.

On this premise, the prosecutor informed the court that his witness appeared “hostile” and urged the court to adjourn the case to enable him make necessary application on the situation.

Continuation of trial was billed to resume on June 10.

However, the CJ conveyed the transfer of the case from Justice Olatoregun to Justice Aneke, by a letter dated May 23, a copy of which was obtained by newsmen,NAN reports.

The CJ said: “I refer to the petition of EFCC on this case and your Lordship’s comments thereto.

“It is apparent that the prosecution has lost confidence in the judge trying this case and justice must not only be done but must be seen to have been done, I hereby transfer this case to Hon. Justice C. J. Aneke for hearing.”

A new date for the case before Aneke has however not been confirmed.

The matter will consequently begin afresh before the new judge, as the defendant will take his plea again.



During the trial before Olatoregun, the prosecution had called witnesses, from Zenith Bank, Diamond Bank, as well as a former Minister of State for Defence, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro.

According to the charge, on June 17, 2014, Fayose and Agbele were said to have taken possession of the sum of N1.2 billion, for purposes of funding his gubernatorial election campaign in Ekiti State, which sum they reasonably ought to have known formed part of crime proceeds.

Fayose was alleged to have received a cash payment of five million dollars, (about N1.8 billion) from the then Minister of State for Defence, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, without going through any financial institution and which sum exceeded the amount allowed by law.

He was also alleged to have retained the sum of N300 million in his Zenith Bank account and took control of the aggregate sums of about N622 million which sum he ought to have known formed part of crime proceeds.

Fayose was alleged to have procured De Privateer Ltd and Still Earth Ltd, to retain in their Zenith and FCMB accounts, the aggregate sums of N851 million which they reasonably ought to have known formed part of crime proceeds.

Besides, the accused was alleged to have used about N1.6 billion to acquire properties in Lagos and Abuja, which he reasonably ought to have known formed part of crime proceeds.

The accused was also alleged to have used the sum of N200 million, to acquire a property in Abuja, in the name of his elder sister, Moji Oladeji, which sum he ought to know also forms crime proceeds.

The offence contravened the provisions of sections 15(1), 15 (2), 15 (3), 16(2)(b), 16 (d), and 18 (c) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2011.



SHARE THIS STORY

Wednesday, 11 April 2018

EFCC Charges Heritage Bank MD Sekibo, Others To Court For N1bn Fraud

CRIME NEWS
EFCC Charges Heritage Bank MD Sekibo, Others To Court For N1bn Fraud
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday charged the Managing Director of Heritage Bank Plc, Ifiesimama Sekibo, and five others before the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja for an alleged fraud of N1bn.
Sekibo was charged along with Dimire Dike, Wumi Adeniyi, Kolapo Daisi, Funmilayo Taiwo and Akeem Durotoye.
The charges border, among others, on conspiracy, stealing, obtaining money under false pretences and forgery, Punch reports.
The EFCC alleged that the defendants obtained the sum of N1bn from Heritage Bank Plc “by falsely representing the sum as proceeds of Vlamings Professional Limited’s investment in Heritage Bank Plc.”
It accused them of dishonestly converting the N1bn, being Heritage Bank’s property, to their own.
They were accused of forging a document titled ‘RE: Expression of Interest in Agric Fund Management Scheme.”
According to the anti-graft agency, the defendants allegedly forged the document dated April 2, 2015, “purporting it to be a loan scheme executed in favour of Vlamings Professionals Limited.”
The EFCC claimed that the defendants sent the document to it (EFCC), hoping it would be mistaken as genuine.
They also allegedly forged another document titled, “Agric Management Scheme” purporting that it was approved by Heritage Bank Plc.
In the 10th count bordering on accessory to an act or offence contrary to sections 8(b) and 1(3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and other related offences Act, 2006, the EFCC accused Dike, Adeniyi and Akee
Counsel for the EFCC, Ekene Iheanacho, said the defendants committed the offence between February 2015 and February 2017.
The court has yet to fix a date for the arraignment of the defendants.

Please Share This Post

Friday, 30 March 2018

$40m Contract Scam: Court Strikes Out Seven Charges By EFCC Against Jonathan's Cousin, Azibaola

BREAKING NEWS
$40m Contract Scam: Court Strikes Out Seven Charges By EFCC Against Jonathan's Cousin, Azibaola 
 
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, yesterday, trashed seven of the nine-count charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, preferred against former President Goodluck Jonathan’s cousin, Mr. Robert Azibaola.
The court, in a ruling by the trial judge, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba, also discharged and acquitted Aziboala’s wife, Stella, of all allegations EFCC leveled against her in the charge.
According to Justice Dimgba, he was satisfied that going by the proof of evidence EFCC adduced before the court, the 1st defendant, Aziboala, and his firm, One Plus Holdings Nigeria Limited, had no case to answer with respect to the seven-count charge that was struck out.
However, the court ordered Jonathan’s cousin and his firm to open their defence to counts two and three of the charge, which borders on allegation that they received $40 million contract from the detained former National Security Adviser, NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd).
EFCC had claimed that Aziboala had while being the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer and a signatory to the Zenith Bank account of One Plus Holdings Nig Ltd, on or about September 8, 2014, taken possession and converted the $39, 999, 958 out of the $40million, and transferred same to the domiciliary account of One Plus Holdings Nig Ltd with Zenith Bank Plc Account No. 5070365750.
In his ruling, Justice Dimgba said: “I, therefore, do not see any evidence of conspiracy to launder any sum of $40 million with Amobi Ovum, who is not a defendant in the charge. If at all any conspiracy to launder funds existed, such a conspiracy would have been between the former NSA, Sambo Dasuki, who in any event is not charged as a defendant in the charge.”

Please Share This Post


Heritage Bank MD, Sekibo Charged To Court For N605m Fraud By EFCC

BREAKING NEWS
Heritage Bank MD, Sekibo Charged To Court For N605m Fraud By EFCC
 
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has charged the Managing Director of Heritage Bank, Ifiesimama Sekibo, before a Federal High Court in Lagos for an alleged fraud of N605,321,051.05.
Also joined with Sekibo in the charge sheet marked FHC/C/95C/18 is one Kolapo Kola Daisi and a company, Greame Properties Limited.
The EFCC, in the first count, alleged that Sekibo, on July 29, 2016, “while being a bank employee, to wit: Managing Director of Heritage Bank, acquired the sum of N180m beyond your legitimate income through Greame Properties Limited, a company owned by you.”
According to the anti-graft prosecutor, Ekene Iheanacho, who signed the charge sheet, the bank chief violated Section 7(1) of the Bank Employees, etc (Declaration of Assets) Act, Cap B1, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and he is liable to be punished under Section 7(2) of the same Act.
In the second count, the anti-graft agency alleged that Sekibo and Greame Properties Limited “did retain in the Diamond Bank Plc account number 0006129214 operated by Greame Properties Limited the sum of N180m received from the account of Vlamings Professionals Limited when you reasonably ought to know that the said money was direct proceeds of your unlawful activity, to wit: conspiracy and fraud.”
According to the EFCC, Sekibo and Greame Properties Limited acted contrary to Section 15(2)(d) of the Money Laundering Act 2011 (as amended by Act No. 1 of 2012) and are liable to punishment under Section 15(3) of the same Act.
In the third count, the EFCC alleged that Sekibo “acquired N125, 321, 051.05 beyond your legitimate income through the Diamond Bank Plc account of FIFC Development and Management Limited operated by you.”
In count four, the EFCC alleged that Sekibo conspired with Daisi “to transfer the sum of N300m proceeds of an unlawful activity,” into the account of Hiltrans Global Investment Limited “when you reasonably ought to know that the said fund was fraudulently withdrawn from the account of Heritage Bank Company Limited in Access Bank Plc.”
The court has yet to fix a date for their arraignment.

Please Share This Post

Saturday, 10 March 2018

Osun State University JAC Accuse The Vice Chancellor Of Financial Mismanagement


BREAKING NEWS


Osun State University JAC Accuse The Vice Chancellor Of Financial Mismanagement
 
A cross section of workers from Osun State University, under the auspices of Joint Action Committee(JAC) which comprises all non-teaching staff have accused the Vice-chancellor of the university, Prof. Labode Popoola of financial mismanagement and lack of administrative acumen.
In a press release signed by the Chairman of SSANU/JAC, Comrade Lekan Adiat, that of NASU, Comrade I.M, Fayemi, and his counterpart from NAAT, Comrade Ismail Adeleke, a copy which was made available to journalists on Friday, the union bemoaned the Vice -chancelleor for running the university aground.
While the release carpeted the V. C for misleading the general public on their demand during a press conference he addressed on Thursday, it also accused him of mismanaging over Three Billion Naira he met in the purse of the university upon his assumption of office as the Vice-chancellor.
“We wish to inform the general public that the claim by the Vice-chancellor that our struggle concerns only financial demand is a ploy to mitigate the collapse of our university and to incite the public against the innocent members of our unions because as at today, nothing is running again in our dear university, viz-a-viz office equipment, stationeries, laboratory materials, and drugs in the clinics.
“The university is still owing arrears of some items of the Earned allowances from 2009 to 2014 as against the claim of the Vice-chancellor that all the accrued arrears of Earned Allowances has been paid up till 2014.
“Kindly note that the last administration handed over Three Billion naira (N3,000,000,000) to this administration, excluding the amount claimed by Prof. Labode Popoola that UNIOSUN students were owing when he assumed office in November, 2006. What happened to all these monies.
“The Vice-chancellor also claimed that the promotion exercise is being delayed by the ongoing strike action. The practice in UNIOSUN is that the promotion exercise commences in April of each year, and conclude before October, while implementation starts on every October 1, his excuse is therefore tantamount to administrative deficiency.”
The unions stated their demands to include : Adequate funding of the university, downward review of tax, remittance of staff pension deductions among others.
It, therefore, reiterated it’s stance to continue with strike even after the National strike had been cut off.
” We wish to state that even after the end of National strike , UNIOSUN local struggle will continue.”
Please Share This Post

You May Like To Read This